What is it?
Established in 2019, WAYACOMP encourages ensembles to continue playing together on a regular basis and provides an incentive particularly for those ensembles formed during WAYACHAMP Programs. It is also an opportunity for ensembles to refine one of their pieces, aiming for the highest quality performance possible. In a relaxed and supportive environment, ensembles are assessed by an adjudicator in the categories of technical, musicality, ensemble and general performance presentation.
Students under 18
Ensembles of 3 - 6 people, 1 player to a part
Performance of one or more movements within the maximum time limits
Repertoire from the Western Art music repertoire is preferred
Enter in as many ensembles as you like!
Early video submission option available if live performance on the day not possible
All members should be aged under 13 on the day of competition
Time limit: 5 minutes
All members should be aged under 18 on the day of competition
Time limit: 12 minutes
2023 Competition details:
Live performance date: Sunday 10th December
Junior Section commencing 2pm
Senior Section commencing 4pm (Times TBC)
Entries by video submission: Due Monday 4th December
Filming will be completed by a WAYACHAMP representative in one take to ensure fairness between ensembles. Videos will be assessed by the adjudicator prior to the day and played to the audience during deliberations on the day of the competition.
WAYACHAMP students: $25 per person
Non-WAYACHAMP students: $30 per person
Audience entry: $10/$5
Callaway Auditorium, Conservatorium of Music, UWA
Senior Section 1st prize $500 sponsored by AUSTA WA
Senior Section 2nd prize $300
Senior Section 3rd prize $150
Junior Section 1st prize $300 sponsored by BAFC Settlements
Junior Section 2nd prize $150
Junior Section 3rd prize Merchandise
Closing date for entries:
Friday 17 November
Competitors are required to register individually using the button below.
Special thanks to our 2023 supporters
Sponsor of the Senior Section 1st prize
Sponsor of the Junior Section 1st prize
Contact us if you would like to sponsor this event
WAYACOMP Terms and Conditions
1. All members of the ensemble must adhere to the age limits of each section. This means that for the Junior section, all members of the ensemble must be aged 12 or under on the day of the competition and for the Senior section, all members of the ensemble must be aged 17 or under on the day of competition, unless specific permission has been granted.
2. If an Under 13 ensemble would like to perform a piece longer than the 5 minute limit, they should enter the Senior section.
3. Applications and payment from all ensemble members must be received by the closing date.
4. Ensembles must email a score of the piece being performed by the application closing date to email@example.com
5. Photocopies of music which is still in copyright are illegal and may not be used by competitors. Pieces still in copyright must be performed using original scores.
6. Ensembles must perform their one or more movements in their entirety, without cuts or modifications. Repeats are optional.
7. Prizes will be awarded to the best 3 performances on the day of the competition for each section. All prizes will be awarded at the adjudicator’s discretion. The adjudicator’s decision will be final. No correspondence will be entered into.
8. Non-attendance by any ensemble member on the day of the competition will result in a forfeit for that ensemble.
9. Competitors shall arrive at least 15 minutes before the start of the competition.
10. Family, friends and teachers are welcome to attend the competition and are encouraged to listen to all competitors. At no point during the performances should audience members speak with the adjudicator. Recording is allowed for personal use only.